For more than 20 years, Nerissa has worked with Caribbean entrepreneurs across the globe through conferences, workshops, and one-on-one coaching. Her company, Goldenmedia LLC develops communication solutions for clients who want to connect with their ideal customer and target group.
A journalist and international speaker, Nerissa is the author of seven books including The Making of a Caribbeanpreneur: Strategies for Overcoming Fear and Building Wealth and 30-Day Guide to Living Happy.
She has received awards for her work as one of the Caribbean’s strongest advocates for innovation in entrepreneurship and technology. Nerissa is a certified facilitator for the World Bank’s Women’s Innovation Network of the Caribbean (WINC) Accelerated Program and a 2016 PitchIT Caribbean winner. She was also named as one of 31 Caribbean Women to Watch in 2016.
Nerissa is the Founder and Editor of Montserrat’s top digital travel and information platform Discover Montserrat and is one of three Caribbean entrepreneurs featured in a new book by Tonya McNeal-Weary called Women Going Global.
A mother of four and mentor to many entrepreneurs, she is a frequent speaker and guests on podcasts and live events.
Hard to imagine that I’ve been in and around media for 30 years. I started barely out of secondary school anchoring a local television newscast on St. Maarten, then was headhunted for The Chronicle newspaper six months later.
I didn’t create a business until after university but my teen years were spent producing concerts and theatre productions. Now with seven books, a media company and several digital platforms in my portfolio, I am focused on sharing what I know with a new generation of entrepreneurs.
In 2018, I hosted the first i2LPitch on Montserrat. Innovate to Lead is a boot camp and pitch competition which provides aspiring entrepreneurs and startups a space to hash out their ideas and business strategies in a supportive and creative environment. It is the natural evolution from the young entrepreneur conferences I hosted around the region starting in 2006.
Also in 2006, I founded an alternative learning school on St Maarten called Victory Christian Academy, to provide my children and others a place where they could be educated at their own pace without the pressures of testing and structured examinations. Our tiny school that could, helped almost 1000 students for 12 years rebuild their vocabulary, learn to read and explore languages and prepare for tertiary education.
I am a teacher at heart and my aim is always to make you better once you listen to me or attend an event. To reach even more people with the workshops I deliver on social media, blogging and entrepreneurship, I created Truly Caribbean Academy. This is my new online space for sharing my digital courses. TCA will go live soon.
My Events page tells you where I am speaking in person or virtually.
- Mother of the four greatest people in the World
- Founder and Editor of Montserrat’s top digital travel and information platform Discover Montserrat
- CEO Goldenmedia LLC – A Media Consulting and Content Creation Business
- Author: The Making of a Caribbeanpreneur: Strategies for Overcoming Fear and Building Wealth | Like. Follow. Lead. – Mastering Social Media for Small Business | Love’s Sweet Joy | In Plain Sight | 30 Day Guide to Living Happy | Island Days: A Poetic Collection of Growing Up in the Caribbean | Truly Caribbean Woman’s Guide to Good Love (Out of Print)
- Certified facilitator for the World Bank’s Women’s Innovation Network of the Caribbean (WINC) Accelerated Program
- 2016 PitchIT Caribbean winner
- Named one of 31 Caribbean Women to Watch in 2016
- 2013 TechLink Caribbean Innovations Award for Outstanding Contribution to Caribbean Storytelling and Encouraging the Participation of Women in ICT
- Founder and Host of the Young Entrepreneurs Symposium (YES 2006 – St. Maarten, YES 2007 – St. Kitts, and YES 2011 – Montserrat)
- Board of Directors for the Montserrat Arts Council (2017 – 2019)
- Acting Director of the Montserrat Arts Council in 2019
- Coordinator for Montserrat Delegation to Carifesta 2019 in Trinidad & Tobago
- Advisory Board member for the Covela Foundation
- Vice Chair of the Montserrat Tourism Stakeholders Advisory Council
- Member of Montserrat’s Fibre Optic Task Force