Nerissa Golden is a storyteller, strategist and teacher.
For more than 20 years, Nerissa has helped Caribbean entrepreneurs across the globe through conferences, workshops, and one-on-one coaching to build businesses that thrive. Based on the island of Montserrat, her company, Goldenmedia LLC develops digital and traditional communication solutions for international clients who want to connect with their ideal customer and target group.
A journalist and international speaker, Nerissa is the author of ten books including her latest book Start, Grow, Thrive – Build a Business That Lasts and The Making of a Caribbeanpreneur: Strategies for Overcoming Fear and Building Wealth.
She has received awards for her work as one of the Caribbean’s strongest advocates for innovation in entrepreneurship and technology. Nerissa is a certified facilitator for the World Bank’s Women’s Innovation Network of the Caribbean (WINC) Accelerated Program and a 2016 PitchIT Caribbean winner. That same year, she was named as one of 31 Caribbean Women to Watch.
Nerissa is the founder of Montserrat’s top digital travel and lifestyle portal Discover Montserrat and is one of three Caribbean entrepreneurs featured in a new book by Tonya McNeal-Weary called Women Going Global.
She currently heads the organising team of Montserrat’s premiere literary event, the Alliouagana Festival of the Word (AFWLitFest). Nerissa is also part of several national advisory councils, including tourism and the fibre optic task force.
In 2018, she created and hosted the first i2LPitch on Montserrat. Innovate to Lead (i2L) is a boot camp and pitch competition which provides aspiring entrepreneurs and startups a space to hash out their ideas and business strategies in a supportive and creative environment. It is the natural evolution from the young entrepreneur conferences she hosted around the region starting in 2006.n
Her passion for education led her to start Victory Christian Academy on St. Maarten, to provide her children and others a place to be educated at their own pace without the pressures of structured examinations. From 2006 until it closed in 2017, due to the impact of Hurricane Irma, VCA helped almost 1000 students learn to read, explore languages and prepare for tertiary education.
Nerissa recently founded the Truly Caribbean Academy, an eLearning space to teach entrepreneurship. A mother of four and mentor to many, she is a frequent speaker and guests on podcasts and live events.
Find her online at www.nerissagolden.com and learn.trulycaribbean.net
Hard to imagine that I’ve been in and around media for 30 years. I started barely out of secondary school anchoring a local television newscast on St. Maarten, then was headhunted by The Chronicle newspaper six months later.
I didn’t create a business until after university but my teen years were spent producing concerts and theatre productions. Now with ten books, journals and planners, a media company and several digital platforms in my portfolio, I am focused on sharing what I know with others.
In 2018, I hosted the first i2LPitch on Montserrat. Innovate to Lead is a boot camp and pitch competition which provides aspiring entrepreneurs and startups a space to hash out their ideas and business strategies in a supportive and creative environment. It is the natural evolution from the young entrepreneur conferences I hosted around the region starting in 2006.
I am a teacher at heart and my aim is always to make you better once you listen to me or attend an event. To reach even more people with the programs I deliver on social media, blogging and entrepreneurship, I created Truly Caribbean Academy. This is my new online space for sharing my digital courses.
My Events page tells you where I am speaking in person or virtually.
Even More about Me
- Mother of the four greatest people in the World
- Founder and Editor of Montserrat’s top digital travel and lifestyle portal Discover Montserrat
- CEO Goldenmedia LLC – A Media Consulting and Content Creation Business
- Author: Love in Lockdown Series | Start, Grow, Thrive: Build a Business to Last | The Making of a Caribbeanpreneur: Strategies for Overcoming Fear and Building Wealth | Like. Follow. Lead. – Mastering Social Media for Small Business | Love’s Sweet Joy | In Plain Sight | 30 Day Guide to Living Happy | Island Days: A Poetic Collection of Growing Up in the Caribbean | Truly Caribbean Woman’s Guide to Good Love (Out of Print)
- Certified facilitator for the World Bank’s Women’s Innovation Network of the Caribbean (WINC) Accelerated Program
- 2016 PitchIT Caribbean winner
- Named one of 31 Caribbean Women to Watch in 2016
- 2013 TechLink Caribbean Innovations Award for Outstanding Contribution to Caribbean Storytelling and Encouraging the Participation of Women in ICT
- Founder and Host of the Young Entrepreneurs Symposium (YES 2006 – St. Maarten, YES 2007 – St. Kitts, and YES 2011 – Montserrat)
- Board of Directors for the Montserrat Arts Council (2017 – 2019)
- Acting Director of the Montserrat Arts Council in 2019
- Coordinator for Montserrat Delegation to Carifesta 2019 in Trinidad & Tobago
- Advisory Board member for the Covela Foundation
- Vice Chair of the Montserrat Tourism Stakeholders Advisory Council
- Member of Montserrat’s Fibre Optic Task Force
- Coordinator of AFW LitFest 2020, 2021